Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Can Mothers Really Be Happy?

Can Mothers really be happy? I ask this because at my house their is fighting children competing over toys and other really dumb things. The mother is constantly saying "pick up your toys, leave him alone, knock it off, and probably a hundred other phrases that many of you say yourself. I know that I am not the only saying more like screaming these little phrases. Is it all blissful and happiness at your house or are you all in denial? In my effort to be more happy, it is hard not to lose it with the kiddos. Considering that I am about the least patient person around this is my daily routine. I hope at some point in life it will be blissful and I can look back at these ornery days of childhood and say that I missed those days. It is hard for me to think at this point in my life I will. I read on someone else's blog that her goal for 2010 was to find joy in Motherhood and not look so forward to 8pm when the kids are in bed. I am not sure I am there yet. I would like to be there but realize I have a long ways to go but I hope I can find the day where I can say this is fun and I love being a mother. I know that motherhood will not always be blissful but hopefully I can find a part of my day that is bliss and that it is not after 8pm.

3 comments:

terra said...

Enjoy the journey... and no, it isn't always easy. But look for the tiny moment each day that went right. And yes, someday you will wonder where that time went when they were little and drove you crazy. They just get biggger and drive you crazy!

Heidi said...

You have lots of food for thought in these posts. Know that you are not alone in your thoughts or feelings...I am right there with you. I am trying to define "happiness" for myself right now, and I am in a serious "simplification" mode. I will try to blog soon...so you can see my non-consumerism :)

Janetlee said...

Brooke, I want to tell you that I am a much better mom to 6 kids than I was with two. When I had two I was still trying to figure out how I was going to stay committed to following the prophet and stay home with my kids for all the same reasons you put in your blogs. Please know that it is Satan's greatest wish to take Mom out of the home and convince her she could find happiness if she could get out of the home. When you remain committed through these tough times, one day God will bless you for your willingness to submit to what he has asked. The blessing for me came when I woke up one day and realized I LOVED being a mother and I was really happy already. It will happen for you too.

PS All the things you describe your kids doing sounds just like our house. Stop that! Don't tease her! Okay, you are on time out now!