Saturday, January 9, 2010

Here's to Happiness

Here's to Happiness
So after watching Julie and Julia, I decided I wanted to something similar. So here it is. I have been thinking a lot about what it takes to be happy. Is it the stuff we have, our relationships, our spirituality or a good balance of all of those plus probably a thousand other things. In my quest to become a happier person, I have and will continue to consult all sorts of books, shows, whatever it really takes. Here is the first result.

Yesterday, I happened to tune in to Oprah. She was discussing this very topic of happiness. Studies have shown that the people in Denmark are the happiest in the world despite paying nearly 50 percent in income taxes. As I was watching this, she went through 2 families houses, went through a market, and met with a group of women. My conclusion: People in Denmark live very simply. There houses are small, modern, and very simple. They didn't have wreaths, and picture groupings on their walls. Basically is what I saw was a sofa and perhaps a table in their family room. No television, basically no distractions to take them from what they really need to do, which is family. I did not see piles of toys in the kids rooms or mountains of clothes hanging in the closet or in my case that would by lying on the floor. Most of them do not own cars because they bike everywhere. What a way to stay fit. That means no gym membership. The thing that struck me the most is when one of the women said: we are happy because we don't consume, we live.

So I decided that is exactly what I want to do. Live not consume. So I told my husband today that normally I would buy the kids clothes if they were on a good clearance. I am not going to do that anymore. If they really and truly need it then I will make the exception. That goes for me as well. I don't want to feel like I have to have that sweater when I already have 5 sweaters. This is going to be challenging for me. But I think I can do it. I will have to remind myself of this often I am sure. Doing this will save probably a considerable amount of money.

I think that is going to be step 1. I am unsure as to how many steps this will take but that is a good start,

Here is to being happier!


The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.
ANNE FRANK

1 comment:

Janetlee said...

I love this whole blog entry! Thanks.